WHEAT & GRAIN FREE
Tiramisu is an old time favourite for many.. and for good reason! Two of the greatest things combined.. coffee and dessert, YUM!. Here is our take on a grain and wheat free version using our Vanilla Sponge Cake mix. We hope you enjoy!
You will need:
- Bake two of The Monday Food Co Vanilla Sponge Cake mixes in 20cm round cake tins as per the instructions on the package. Leave to cool.
- Beat egg yolks and maple in a stand mixer or electric beater on speed 6 to 7 for 10 minutes or until it changes from yellow to pale yellow (almost white), and is thick.
- Add vanilla bean seeds and mascarpone, then beat until just combined and smooth. Transfer mixture to a bowl, set aside.
- Clean bowl and whisk. Add egg whites and beat until it’s stiff (3 minutes on speed 7, should be all white foam)
- Add 1/2 the cream mixture into the egg whites. Gently fold through. When most is incorporated, add the remaining cream mixture and fold through until just combined - don’t bash out all the air in the egg whites.
- Mix coffee and liquor or maple together.
- Get your two sponge cakes and cut them through the centre so you have 4 halves.
- Line a 20cm round dish with baking paper
- Place the first quarter of the sponge cake in the lined dish and using your pastry brush, drizzle the coffee mix onto the sponge cake. (You can quickly dip your sponge cake in the coffee mix if you prefer this method)
- Spread one quarter of the cream evenly on the bottom layer and repeat this process with the coffee and cream over the following three layers until you reach the top.
- Spread with remaining cream on top. Note: if you wish to decorate the top and sides with cream, keep some cream aside for this.
- Cover, refrigerate for at least 4 - 5 hours, preferably overnight.
- Dust with cocoa powder and serve.
Decorating notes: Looking to level up your cake design? Use an Icing spatula and a cake turn table to get those perfect smooth sides. You can also use a piping bag for the icing design on the top seen in our images.
We hope you enjoy!